Tuesday, October 4, 2011

An unforgettable experience

I went to Seattle, Washington early June of 2011 on a trip with my family. One of the things we attempted was Orca Whale watching. The day was cloudy and freezing and it began to rain and to top it all off, on our way there, our boat began having engine trouble. We were informed that we would need to turn around without going out to whale watch. Reaching port, we received vouchers to go whale watching again within the next year. Seeing that we live in Southern California, we did not know when we would come to Washington again. 

I have several close friends in the area (including one of my best friends and her husband) and shortly after coming home, found an amazing deal on Southwest and booked my 2nd trip to Washington for the end of summer! It was for the end of August and the Orca Whales are more frequent during that month. I was able to stay with my best friend, Rochelle Woods and her awesome husband Jon, and so began my Washington adventure! Rochelle, like me, is a photographer and we had a great time being camera buddies together! 

Thursday was the day that we planned for whale watching and Rochelle, Jon, and two other friends-Daniel and Max- set out at 4:30am to drive to Seattle to make the 7:30am boat boarding! Our adventure began with Krispy Cream donuts and coffee. The boat ride started at close to 8am and all of us opted for the top of the Victoria Clipper. I had checked the weather the night before and it was to be clear skies and 0% chance of rain in Seattle (which had to be a record of some kind!!!!) 

The wind was blowing hard and it got a little chilly, but we didn't care and laughed and talked and took photos as we settled in for our 3 1/2 hour ride to Friday Harbor. It passed by quickly with all of us friends and no engine trouble this time! We let some people off at the harbor than the rest of us set out to see the whales! It took us twenty minutes to circle the island and get to where the whales are supposed to be. 

We saw some other boats and headed towards them. We hear that there is whales off to the left! We see them way in the distance sprouting, and I am already snapping photos and grinning from ear-to-ear! They start heading towards out boat and I am peeking above my camera watching and than clicking the shutter as fast as I can when one surfaces for air! We see about 5 all spread out and we never know where or when they will pop up. Our captain turns off the engine according the the law that says you cannot be within 200 yards of the whales (unless they come to you). Well, the whales do not know this law and they keep coming closer! Everyone is packed tight on the railing as one surfaces 60 feet from the boat! We look and we can see him swimming under water and suddenly he surfaces right at the bow of the boat! I snap as fast as I can, never dreaming I would get this close to them in the wild! It was truly amazing!!!!



I was bouncing from excitement, and my eyes were scanning for more. Another one surfaces near the bow! And again, I snap as fast as I can in the brief second he is out of the water. They swim fast and are soon long past our boat. We followed once they were far enough away and headed further into the sea.


We have a group of four that we find also to the left of us. They are heading straight for our boat as well!!! I catch one coming head on and run to the other side to see them surface, but they stayed under for 15 minutes and finally surfaced further away. There I got the perspective of them, a fishing boat, and the land, for an amazing scenic photo!




All in all we saw probably over 20 whales in an hour out on the water with them! It was spectacular! It was the K-quad, the smallest of the three known in those parts. But to me, it was amazing! It was a gift from God, and all I could do was smile and thank Him! It was an amazing gift from Him and I was in awe! His beautiful handiwork, wild and free! And seeing them, being able to photograph them so close, was all I could dream of! Thank you, Lord, for the amazing beauty you have let us see! And for my amazing friends that I was able to spend the time with and get to share in an incredible and definitely unforgettable experience! 

2 comments:

BAMM MAN said...

Great shots & great story

Admin said...

Beautiful story and photos to help tell it so well! --

Wedding Photography

Wedding Photography
here is a little self-promotion piece I did for school.

The Second Page

The Second Page

Santiago's Best Buddy Program

Santiago's Best Buddy Program